Wednesday, April 24, 2013

An Illustration

 
 
Day 3 of Knitting and Crochet Blog Week has me thinking about the types of projects I make. I started knitting in 2006 and didn't become obsessed with Ravelry for a couple of years, so not every project I've made is on there. However, nearly everything I've knit in the past few years is there, and I wanted to see what sort of projects I was choosing.
 
I broke them up into groups that made sense to me.
 

 
From left to right, the categories are baby (light green), headwear (med. blue), holiday (red), home (light blue), hands (yellow), scarves (medium green), shawls (purple), feet and legs (orange), sweaters (blue-purple), and toys (pink).
 
Hmmm.
 
I'm not shocked by this. Socks are my go-to project. The orange bar includes things like boot toppers and legwarmers as well as socks, but nearly all of the "feet and leg" projects are socks. I get twitchy without something on the needles, and I often find myself casting on for a pair of socks because I haven't decided what else I might like to do and Must Knit NOW! Socks don't feel like a big commitment to me.
 
I would like to make that purple bar longer. I have not had fabulous success with sweaters. I have knit some that are great, but I've knit some that never fit properly. I think those bad experiences are serving as blocks.
 
Sweaters are commitment. Sweaters all feel different to me (unlike socks), so I'm never sure it's going to fit in the end. Sweaters are expensive.
 
I'm going to keep this in mind and try to get up the courage to start one of the sweaters in my queue. I already have the yarn for Falling Stars, Colette, and the Thermal Pullover. All that's left is to begin.
 
But not right now. Right now, I'm knitting socks.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I share your feelings about socks and sweaters. Socks are my safety knitting - I always know I'll end up with socks at the end (maybe not for the feet I had in mind). Sweaters are a big commitment that need a huge investment of time, money and stash space... and they might not fit.

    I have every confidence that you will make fabulous sweaters. Of the three you mention, I think Colette is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you say about socks - but that's when I cast on a shawl; I've seen sock obsession, and it isn't nice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been peeking in here to watch your knitting updates! This chart today is a scream, yes I do think some really selfish sweater knitting is in order for you--and love all the selections, can't wait to hear progress reports!

    ReplyDelete