Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Spacorn Revealed

In an attempt to understand the spaghetti/acorn squash hybrid that has thus far been the only real produce from the garden, I did a bit of research.  Perhaps this was really just a spaghetti squash that had different coloring than I expected. 

See figure 2 on this site.  That's the variety I planted.  That definitely isn't what I pulled from the garden.  I was born and raised in Indiana; I have been thoroughly indoctrinated that if Purdue says it is so, it must be so.

When I cut into it last night, I was surprised how little pain I experienced.  Usually, cutting a raw squash involves a multiple knives and cursing.  This sliced easily with an ordinary, poor quality steak knife.  This is what it looked like inside:


White flesh. Huh. 

Not really sure what to do with it, I baked it upside-down in a pan with an inch or so of water in it for half an hour.  I now remember that you're supposed to scoop out the seeds before you bake it, but I didn't remember that until it was already out of the oven.

The resulting product was only slightly strand-like.  The skin was soft enough to eat, another unusual thing, and I ended up cubing the squash and eating it with some spicy diced tomatoes and a bit of shredded cheese.


It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad either.  I have one more of these.  Anyone have any suggestions for how to eat it?

1 comment:

  1. First of all, congrats on being a mad vegetable scientist. Second of all, maybe since the skin is soft you can cook it up in a veggie lasagna. That way you can disguise the okay-ish taste with a pan of delicious.

    ReplyDelete