Monday, August 9, 2010

Recipe #28: In Which I Learn That Wonton Wrappers Are Awesome

Sunday afternoon I played with wonton wrappers for the first time, and now I want everything to be in a wonton wrapper.  I'm currently thinking about portobello mushrooms, but it's possible I'll end up putting breakfast cereal in there.  I'm that smitten.

I started with this recipe and changed it a bunch.

Mix these together:
1 diced avocado
1 diced Roma tomato
1 diced mystery pepper from the produce bin (flavored and colored like a bell pepper but shaped more like a poblano)
1/2 package reduced-fat cream cheese
handful of diced garlic chives
juice from one lime
1 t. or so sweet Thai chili sauce

Place a small spoonful of the above mixture on a wonton wrapper.  Add some alfalfa sprouts.  Add another wonton wrapper on top.  Moisten finger and run around edge of bottom wrapper; squish/fold together.  Hope for the best.

Spray skillet with Pam.  Cook on medium-high for just a couple of minutes on each side.

Serve with more sweet Thai chili sauce for dipping. 


They were really, really good.

I feel I must put a disclaimer on here.  I don't cook.  It feels disingenuous to post a recipe.  I started trying to document my attempts at cooking in order to hold myself accountable.  I am trying to be a healthy vegetarian, and I feel I need more recipes that I can cook in order to do that.  Cooking doesn't come naturally to me at all, and I'm not particularly comfortable doing it.  

The irony, of course, is that by posting my attempts my blog has started to look like a cooking blog.  I find this troubling.  

That is all.


3 comments:

  1. You make me laugh again. . . don't be troubled by this cooking/blog thingy--I think this wonton recipe looks delish! Re: Wontons: On Foodnetwork last week The Neely's stuffed wontons with BBQ Pulled Pork Topped with Coleslaw--THAT is what I'm talking about! It was incredible looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I post recipes when I feel they MUST be shared--for the greater good haha!

    These look amazing! I LOVE wonton wrappers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be troubled! I think what you're doing is great. You inspire me to be more adventurous and to try and cook more things once I have a kitchen again. And to steal all your recipes because they sound so darn good.

    ReplyDelete