Wednesday, May 1, 2013

"It's Not a Problem. It's a Challenge."*

I've become obsessed with ideas for the scarf. After work, I couldn't come up with a good enough excuse to skip yoga class**, but I found that my mind kept travelling to knitting instead of focusing on the stretch.

Acknowledge

Let go

Repeat

When I did park myself on the couch to knit last night, I was marveling at how delightful it was to knit little hearts on a gray background. So pretty! What a fun project! The hard cast on was behind me, and glorious stranded knitting stretched out in front of me like a gorgeous field of wildflowers. This project was so great that I thought of it in terms of similes.

As I spread it out to admire my progress on the third row of hearts, I noticed something.

A weird bunching.

A weird bunching that didn't go away as I tried to smooth it out.

I had twisted the stitches when I joined to knit in the round. I had knit the thing into a mobius strip. 

I spent a few minutes trying to think of a way to fix it without doing what I knew I needed to do to fix it. Then I took a deep breath, pulled out the needles and started frogging.



In good news, I did much better with the provisional cast on this time. GLASS HALF FULL.

*That's a line from The Last 5 Years by Jason Robert Brown. The character is talking about staying faithful to his wife, but he could be singing about knitting. The sentiment is the same.

**I certainly tried.

  • It's too pretty to go to yoga. (yoga is 75 minutes, not 75 days)
  • I need to go home and walk the dog. (Andrew did that)
  • I need to knit. (It is a fact that I need to work out more than I need to knit)
  • There's a plant in the car and it might get stressed with heat. (It's 60 degrees and the plant is a Japanese anemone. It'll be alive even after the war comes: Japanese anemone, chives, and termites will freely roam the scorched earth. Yes, in my head the plants are able to walk. Just go with it.)

2 comments:

  1. this happened to me also when I'm in yoga class. I think a lot about my knitting, even while working.

    I love colorful projects. I'm looking forward to your moeb... ehm, cowl! sometimes it's better to frog and start over. Take it as a lesson :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot WAIT to see how this progresses! More pictures! More pictures!

    ReplyDelete