Friday, May 10, 2013

Honeysuckle

I checked with a couple plant people at my work, and one of them knew what the mystery plant was.

Honeysuckle.

I screamed, "There's been an emergency! I have to go!", raced out the door, drove like a madman home and dug up the honeysuckle.

At least, that's what I did in my head. In reality, I waited until yesterday evening to dig the plant up. It's a sad truth that not everyone understands that the presence of honeysuckle in one's yard is indeed an emergency.

You may be wondering what the big deal is. Well, in my neck of the woods, honeysuckle is invasive. It probably arrived in my front flower bed through the ill-placed poo of a passing bird. You can click here to see why it's a problem. Invasive species of honeysuckle can be bushlike (like the one in my yard) or vinelike. Both are bent on world domination.

It wasn't terribly difficult to dig up because the ground is pretty wet, but I'm still not sure I was able to get all the roots. I'll be on the lookout for reemergence. I will fight it like it's Audrey, Jr.

1 comment:

  1. ok. that explains that. I was thinking, um, that's not honeysuckle? but here, anything that flowers AND drought doesn't kill AND deer don't eat down to the ground, I pretty much leave alone - but I know bunnies go under the big honeysuckle bush at my house....and turns out it is a different type. whew!

    ReplyDelete