Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Inlay

My Inlays are finished!

Inlay Socks (mine ravelled here),
knit in Blue Moon Fiber Arts'
H.R.H. Crown Princess of Purple, Violetta colorway*


These are not for the faint of heart. They are heavily cabled--or at least heavily twisted. Every other round has a series of right twists, left twists, or both. I never was able to see the pattern, so I had to follow the chart the entire time. I am not particularly visual, so I never know if this is because I can't see the pattern or because the pattern can't be seen.

I found it helpful to label the twists on the chart. I just marked the left twists LT and the right RT. It sounds silly, but it helped me a lot. I also learned that highlighter tape is fantastic for marking the row of the chart. I use a chart keeper, but the magnets aren't strong enough. Often when I open it, I find that the magnet marking my row has moved and is mocking me from its new location. I don't understand how the highlighter tape is sticky enough not to move inappropriately but nonsticky enough to be able to be pulled up and moved a jillion times without ripping the page or pulling up the ink. The only possible answer is that highlighter tape is magic.

And, wow, these socks are pretty.


There's a line running down each side of the leg and foot that may find its way onto plain socks as well. It's easy to do, and it adds a lot of visual interest. (Over 8 stitches, p1, k1, right cross, left cross, k1, p1.)


A word of warning: Use a very round yarn. You want great stitch definition. Even in a round yarn, it will look like crap until it's actually on your foot. Then POW! Hello, pattern.


These are a knitty.com pattern designed by Hunter Hammersen. I'm a fan of hers. I preordered Hunter's new book, and I like nearly every pattern in it. But for now, I'm going to knit something very, very simple.

*That colorway is from a Socks that Rock Club shipment, so it may not be available for sale yet.

3 comments:

  1. Well, faint heart never won fair lady! I'm not sure what you'd do with fair lady after winning her, but there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, SO beautiful! Excellent work!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, no wonder you had some trouble with the pattern -- it looks incredibly complex! Finished sock is gorgeous.

    Good advice on the round yarn.

    ReplyDelete