Friday, May 17, 2013

Gardening Meditation

I've never been very good at sitting-on-the-cushion meditation. I have a hard time getting my mind to be still.

A goal of mine is to try to do whatever task I'm doing with mindfulness. When I'm working on payroll, I'm only working on payroll. I'm not simultaneously trying to plan my weekend. When I'm knitting, I'm just knitting, not thinking about the other things that need to get done. 

I'm not particularly good at this, but it's a goal to keep working toward.

I find that doing something physical sometimes is enough to keep the mind focused on the task at hand.  I felt it yesterday when I was doing some gardening. When I was planting tomatoes, I was just planting tomatoes. When I was arranging the planter, I was just arranging the planter.


It felt like grace.

Because I'll want to know later:
Perilla frutescens (Magellanica Perilla)
Solenostemon scutellarioides (Coleus Vino)
2 Petunia hybrid (Supertunia Raspberry blast) 
Euphorbia graminea (Diamond Frost)
Ipomoea batatas ('Sweet Caroline Sweetheart Light Green' Sweet Potato Vine)



1 comment:

  1. I like this idea. I shall try to do it more. Lovely planter!

    ReplyDelete