Thursday, April 8, 2010

Recipe #13: Steamed Artichoke

I steamed an artichoke last night, which I am absolutely counting as a new recipe. My resolution, my rules.

My silicone steamer insert has very short, stubby legs. I kept pouring more water out of my pan because the water was seeping over the edge of the steamer insert. I'm not sure how you make sure you have enough water that the pan doesn't boil dry and yet don't have the vegetable sitting in water. Ah, cooking, you are a mystery.

The leftover water in the pan was green. Is that supposed to happen?

I had made a half-hearted attempt at finding a dip to use that wasn't as unhealthy as just melting butter, but I had no luck. I melted some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light (really, does it even count as butter?) and dipped the leaves into that.

Sadly, I liked the taste of butter much more than I liked the taste of artichoke. I had artichoke leaves with fancy mushroom stuff (Oyster Mushroom Rockefeller) on them at the veggie class. I really liked that, and it felt like there was a lot more edible flesh from the artichoke leaves. Did I do something wrong, or was that just an illusion brought on by the stuff piled on the leaves? It seemed like a lot of time and heat expended for not very much veggie.

Any insight anyone has into artichokes would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to grow some in the garden this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment