Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Recipe #12: Santa Fe Salad with Chili Lime Dressing

Neither Andrew nor I are big into traditional foods. Even when I ate meat, we never ever ever wanted to cook a brisket. Or a roast (is that the same as a brisket?). Or a ham. Or a turkey. Or any meat in a crock pot. Or carrots and potatoes cooked together until they're all indiscriminate mush.


We much prefer food to be spicy.*


For Easter, we baked FiberOne blueberry muffins with applesauce instead of oil, which were a hit. We also made this salad. We substituted a can of drained diced tomatoes with green chiles instead of fresh tomatoes--it's still too early for tomatoes that don't taste like cardboard in my opinion. We also used three romaine hearts and extra peppers, and made Mexican-flavored edamame (recipe #6) and threw that in for some protein and additional flavor.**


For the dressing, we used light sour cream instead of mayo because Andrew has a weird and adamant aversion to any mayo products. It was really delicious. We looked at the bottles of dressing we had in the refrigerator, and every single one had expired. We don't eat enough salad, apparently, and we certainly don't clean out our fridge often enough. I'm trying to decide if I should buy salad dressing or just commit to eating salad with salsa or a dressing like this. This certainly tastes better, but bottles are so darn convenient....


We had enough left over to send some home with a couple people, eat leftovers one night, and have a couple of servings for me to eat for lunch this week. I consider that an acceptable amount of leftovers since we had to use a cake carrier to transport the giant salad.

This is the 12th new recipe I've cooked this year, which makes me nearly halfway to my goal of 25.


*Or pizza. Let's be honest. Mmmm, pizza.

**And because I'm a whore for edamame. Again with the honesty.

2 comments:

  1. Agree a hundred percent with you on the "cardboard" tomatoes! Okay, this recipe looks yummy! I wish I could become a whore for edamame--not there yet. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halfway there and it's not even June! This looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete