Tuesday, March 26, 2013

They're Not All Winners

Pinterest is to blame for many, many failed crafty attempts. Today, I had my own.
 
The inspiration for these stars is here. Cute, yes? Looks easy, yes?
 
I started by printing out a star shape and then nailing it to the back of a wooden frame. It would be much better to have nails at all ten points rather than just five, but the frame wasn't solid and I couldn't find another piece of scrap wood. (The small nail holes won't be seen from the front of the frame, so it's not ruined.)
 


Then I stretched metal florist wire around the nails, bending it until it looked approximately the shape of a star.


Then I used scrap yarn to wrap around it randomly.

You see that happened. I couldn't get the star to stay in its original shape. Part of it is because the wire is pretty flexible, and part of it is because I couldn't figure out a good way to fuse the ends of the wire together. I tried to wrap them around one another, but it wasn't strong enough to hold the join.

They can't all be winners. I think I'll go back to knitting on the shawl now.

No comments:

Post a Comment