Thursday, April 19, 2012

Knitting Presents

At some point (or points, in my case), a knitter has to accept that she likes knitting so much that she must find people to give knitwear to lest she end up knitting a toilet cozy.

When it gets warmer and I can't get excited about knitting for myself, I start knitting presents.  A lot of the people for whom I knit have birthdays in the fall, so I'm never sure if I'm knitting for their birthday or for Christmas.*

I've recently finished two presents for a friend. First, I finished the Fallberry Knits I talked about here.

Fallberry Mitts (mine ravelled here)
knit in Knitpicks Stroll Sport in Rainforest Heather colorway

I also knit a pair of legwarmers.


some cloudy day (mine ravelled here)
knit in Knitpicks Felici fingering in Groovy colorway

I've knit several pairs of kneesocks (which are just legwarmers with a sock attached, and hence the reason I'm talking about them), and the calf decreases always feel complicated. This pattern doesn't have any decreases at all. Some of the pictures show them as very slouchy, but we of the ample calves will not have much slouchiness. (I know because I tried these on. My calves are about the same size as the recipient's.) We all know my love for Felici yarn, and the striping on these kept me interested.  "Look! A purple stripe!" I like these and probably will use this as my go-to pattern if I need to do legwarmers. 

Both of these projects went really quickly and were a nice change from the slow and steady progress of the Garden Gate socks. It feels really good to have some more projects finished for the present pile!

*This is a lie. I can never hold back and end up giving them everything I've knitted for their birthdays and then knitting more stuff for Christmas. Hey, it's better than a crack habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment