Monday, April 23, 2012

3KCBWDay1 Colour Lovers



Today marks the beginning of the 3rd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week! Today's topic is Colour Lovers. Here is the description:

Colour is one of our greatest expressions of ourselves when we choose to knit or crochet, so how do you choose what colours you buy and crochet or knit with. Have a look through your stash and see if there is a predominance of one colour. Do the same with your finished projects - do they match? Do you love a rainbow of bright hues, or more subdued tones. How much attention do you pay to the original colour that a garment is knit in when you see a pattern? Tell readers about your love or confusion over colour.

Last night, my mom asked if she could buy some sock yarn for me. She wanted a brightly-colored self-striping yarn. I looked through my stash and realized a couple of things:

  1. I am not unselfish enough to give away any Felici yarn whatsoever, not even to the woman who was snowed in at the hospital during a blizzard after giving birth to me. I justify this by saying that Mom is knitting socks for a volunteer in her classroom, and this volunteer may not understand the glory of knit socks. There's no need to waste awesomeness on the uninformed masses.
  2. If you take out Felici, I don't have much brightly-colored sock yarn at all. It's all blues, green, purples, and grays.
Despite this, I really do love color. My two most recent sweaters were in bright green and red.
Talamh in Blue Moon Fiber Art's BFL Sport in The New Look of Love colorway

Off-Rib Cardigan in Alpaca with a Twist's Mojito yarn in Hugs 'n' Kisses colorway

Even though I certainly do knit some brightly-colored things, my favorite color is gray. I have to work hard to not buy gray yarn for everything I knit. 
              

As you can tell, this isn't completely successful.

I don't pay attention to what color patterns show at all. I pick colors that I will enjoy spending hours and hours with. Knit what you love!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bonnie! I LOVE those sweaters--in both colors! But I just saw the leggings in the bright stripes you posted last week and LOVE those, as well--no toes, foot or heels--that's my speed. Gray is an all time fave of mine--dating back to my "corporate gig" days. I'm in a quandary for my next project. I always come in here looking for inspiration! Yay--knit what you love! Amen.

    ReplyDelete