Sunday, September 4, 2011

Not So Big Foot

I finished the socks my mother-in-law asked me to knit for her best friend.  I used a new yarn and a tried-and-true pattern.


I mentioned that this woman has long feet.  My m-i-l said she wore a 10.5 or 11 shoe.  I knit and knit and knit.  After I finished them and washed them, they seemed... quite long.  I tried to ignore it, but last night I was lying in bed and the doubts came back.  I got out of bed, grabbed a tape measure and the socks...

They were about 3 cm too long.  That's too long to fake.  This morning I ripped out both toes and a bit of the foot and then reknit the toes.  I'm trying not to focus on the fact that it took three hours to do.  Hopefully they'll be fine now.

The yarn is some I've never used before.  It's shiny, very splitty, and soft.  It's also supposed to be machine washable and dryable.  I am a believer in handwashing and drying knitwear--too many hours go into knitting to be blase about the care.  I don't know if the recipient has the same feelings, so I'm glad these should be very easy to care for.* 

I've moved on to socks for Andrew.  They're knit in dk weight yarn, so they feel like they're flying!

*Speaking of, did anyone else find this bit of The Office very, very funny?  I also believe my handknits should be handwashed without water.

1 comment: