Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Misanthrope Goes to a Party

A couple months ago, I received an e-mail from someone who said she found my blog and wondered if I'd be interested in volunteering at a fundraiser.

I could teach people to knit.

It was for the Indy chapter of Glamour Gals, a not-for-profit whose mission is "to inspire and organize teens to provide ongoing complimentary beauty makeovers to elderly women living in senior homes."  It was called the Hot Pink Party.*

One one hand, I'm very introverted.  It takes a lot of effort to be social, especially when I know no one and the people involved pay attention to make-up.  My idea of volunteerism involves me in a garden (alone) or reading and recording books in a sound booth (again, alone).  Also, this is the busiest time of year at work and I'm a bit puddle-like by 5:00 p.m. 

On the other hand, pushing myself to do new things isn't a bad thing, it was a good cause, there would be knitting, someone I didn't know had actually seen my blog, and I could put on Lipgloss of Impermeability for protection.

I went.


I worked with four women.  Two of them had knit before and needed a bit of a refresher.   Ironically, they were both left-handed, and I had no idea how to compensate for that difference.  It went all right anyway.  The other two had never knit and were very enthusiastic and positive.  One of them, Lisa, had That Look by the end of the night.  She's going to become a Knitter.

Now, I need to go lie down.  I'm exhausted.

*I do not hold this against them.  When I attempted to find something hot pink to wear, I discovered that the only hot pink piece of clothing I own is underwear.  I wore them even though no one saw them.  It's the thought that counts.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed! That was incredibly brave of you. I'm so proud.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete