Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again

Yesterday Emily and I went for my first run in.... well, um, probably three months. Emily has run since then, but I haven't. I honestly don't think I've done any jogging since the first (and only, obviously) 5K in mid-December.

This makes me embarrassed.

It also makes me hurt. Physically, I mean.

I was only able to do a quarter of a mile before needing to walk. I did this a few times, so I technically jogged a little over a mile. I don't believe my lack of capacity to do more was affected in any way by my gallbladder surgery a week and a half ago. I think I'm just out of shape.

I'm trying to be happy with the workout. It's hard. On one hand: I'm not a runner. I don't anticipate ever really being a runner. I just recognize this jogging thing is a nifty way to push myself in doing something that's difficult for me, it gives me time to zone out while listening to angry rocker women on my mp3 player, and it earns a lot of activity points in the WW world. As I love to eat, this is helpful. As a side note, my weight has been stuck since mid-December. I do not think that fact and the fact that I stopped working out at that time are unrelated.

So, on one hand I am not shocked with my lack of ability. On the other hand: I was able to jog a 5K just a few short months ago, and now I've lost that ability. That's sucktastic.

We're going to run again Friday, and I'm trying to bolster my confidence by continually telling myself that it will get easier quickly and that I will be back to being able to run 2 or 3 miles continuously before long.

Which is good, considering we may possibly perhaps maybe be participating in a 10K in June.

I know in the scheme of things, this is small. In my little world, however, it is very big.

This is something I would do if I knew I could not fail.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bonnie! Way to GO on your running--my gosh--you just had surgery--give yourself a break! You know this is a post I can totally and completely relate to (many of yours I relate to, but running--for sure)! Breaking a mile at a constant pace or jog (or as someone once said to me: falling forward fast!)--you can never not give yourself points for just getting out there--be it a half mile, one mile or walk/jogging three miles--you are doing it and that is what counts! I am amazed at the number of people who will pass me in races and who walk/run the whole thing--it grates on my nerves, actually. But so be it--to each his or her own! I hope to hear more of your running progress! And knitting, and the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, and don't be too hard on yourself. You just had surgery recently, so I think that constitutes a serious excuse for not being as fast and fit as you'd like. It will get easier - just be patient and keep at it!

    ReplyDelete