Thursday, April 7, 2011

Garter Stitch

People handle stress in all sorts of ways.

They go out drinking.
They exercise.
They complain.
They shop.

I'd like to recommend another option to add to the stress-relief arsenal: garter stitch.


There's something soothing about performing the same motions over and over and seeing tidy, uniform stitches as a result.*

The two small squares you see above wll be joined by three more and then theoretically be sewn and blocked into a small coin purse.  The ravelry link to the Pinwheel Purse is here.

I don't know if it's ultimately going to work, but I don't really care.  It's the monotonous, relaxing knitting that I need at this particular moment, and it's allowing me to have the illusion of control.  I may not have control over much, but I do have control over these small squares made out of scrap yarn.

That's good enough for now.

*One of these squares has a purl row in the center.  It's the only break in the garter stitch for this pattern.

1 comment:

  1. Of all the ways to unwind, complaining is my favorite. Why couldn't it be exercise?

    ReplyDelete