Monday, March 28, 2011

Day One: A Tale of Two Yarns



I just learned about this Knitting and Crochet Blog Week project, and I thought why not?  I have a blog.  I knit.  Done and done.


Today's topic is to discuss two yarns that I have either used, are in my stash or which I yearn after and capture what it is I love or loathe about them.


Love
I love KnitPicks Felici sock yarn.  It comes in limited-edition colorways, and I have a very difficult time not buying multiple balls of every color when a new bunch is released.
Image from KnitPicks website

This yarn is so delightfully soft, and I'm amused by self-striping yarn.  I've made several things out of it.
Ankle socks for my sister-in law

Naive Socks in pink (not pictured) and blue/purple 


Plain green socks - I am not ashamed to say I made these in a different green as well.  
I wear them a lot.

Plain pink socks


Now that I really look at what I've made out of Felici, I realize there really should be some fingerless gloves or baby hats in the mix.  

Felici is inexpensive.  I admit that it probably won't wear as well as higher quality yarn.  This fact coupled by darning may mean that I rethink my adoration at some point in the future.

But I'm not there yet!


Confused By
ravelry image by petraknits

I don't loathe this yarn; I just don't know what to do with it.  When I had been a knitter just long enough to realize that a local yarn shop going out of business was a stash-enhancing opportunity not to be missed but not quite long enough to really understand yarn, I bought... a lot of this.  It's Manos del Uruguay Cotton Stria.  It's kinky, like '80s hair that's been tortured with a crimper.

I bought enough kelly green to make a sweater, enough red to probably make a sweater, and a couple hanks of a light/medium blue.

It's sat on my yarn shelves for a few years.  Whenever I visit the stash, I look at it, admire the pretty colors, and then reach for something else.  Someday, I'll figure this one out!




3 comments:

  1. Saw your comment in RAvelry from an hour ago. We seem to be the only ones commenting about this year.
    Thanks for blogging! You've given me another idea... In fact, I had such a long blog today, and I don't know what to blog about tomorrow, I may do a second Day1. Who's going to shoot me??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that kinky, cottony yarn! I have great sock admiration for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica (indytricoter on ravelry)March 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM

    Have you loooked on ravelry to see what other people did with their stria. I am sure you already thought of that, but it really helps inspire me when i am stumped!

    ReplyDelete