Monday, July 19, 2010

Courtesy of Stephen Sondheim

This post is brought to you courtesy of Stephen Sondheim's genius.  Enjoy these lyrics from the song "Move On" from his musical Sunday in the Park with George.  This is a conversation between Dot and her great-grandson, George, who is an artist.  (Dot is deceased, but that's beside the point.  It's musical theater, people.  Normal rules do not apply.)


Are you working on something new?


No.

That is not like you, George.


I have nothing to say.


You have many things--


Well, nothing that's not been said.

Said by you, though, George.


I do not know where to go.

And nor did I.


I want to make things that count, things that will be new.

I did what I had to do.


What am I to do?

Move on.  Stop worrying where you're going.  Move on.  If you can know where you're going, you've gone.  Just keep moving on.


I chose and my world was shaken.  So what?  The choice may have been mistaken; the choosing was not.  You have to move on.


                                    
Buy the movie or CD here.  It's brilliant.

I'm not exactly sure why this is swirling around my head today.  Yes, I adore Stephen Sondheim's work.  Yes, I know most of the lyrics to this show.  No, it's not particularly unusual for Broadway tunes to be rattling around in my mind.  I suspect, however, it goes deeper than that.

I think it has something to do with the fact that I live an awful lot of my life inside my head.  Sometimes I need to be reminded just to keep moving and stop thinking so much.  The choice may have been mistaken; the choosing was not.

No comments:

Post a Comment