Monday, May 17, 2010

Challenge Update

I thought I'd give you an update about my slightly-altered Vegetarian Times challenge:

Challenges are much more fun in the beginning than they are several days in.

Last Friday was my only slip, and I count it as a sort of slip. I volunteered at an event at which the Dalai Lama was speaking. We met at work at 6:30 in the morning. I didn't bring lunch because I wasn't going inside the building and couldn't figure out what would survive in my car for hours. When we got back a little after noon, I didn't bother eating lunch because it seemed too hard and I didn't want to blow my challenge five days in.

I met Lynn after work--I get off at 3:00 on Fridays--and I went through a terrible drive-through on my way to meet her. I suppose that could count as lunch, but it wasn't until 3:30 and it wasn't at work.

I'm just going to say that I did my best and move on.

Today promises to be another tricky one to maneuver. It's Andrew's birthday, and we have plans for this evening. I had planned to walk for 30 minutes at lunch, but it's pouring. I can't honestly imagine myself walking for 30 minutes around and around the inside of the building, so I'm not sure what I'll do.

It's possible that I'm just going to have to be more flexible than I had originally anticipated. I still plan on trying as hard as I can to meet my goals, but I think there's an important lesson to be learned: I can continue to work toward something even after I am unable to complete it with a perfect record.

This has always been a tricky one for me--When I was in first grade, I cried and cried when I missed one word on a spelling test. That one word meant I couldn't get an A+ on my report card for spelling. My poor first-grade teacher had no idea what to do with this crazy, type A child. She eventually sent me to see my mother, who taught in the same school. If I remember correctly, Mom wasn't quite sure what to do with this crazy, type A child either.

So, maybe it's a blessing if I am unable to walk today.

Of course, it's now stopped raining...

1 comment: