Tuesday, November 24, 2009

$19.99/month

A and I have joined the ranks of those who purchase exercise equipment. We are determined (as I'm sure all purchasers are) not to join the almost equally strong ranks of those who then use these pieces of equipment as coatracks.

We are not completely new to this. We bought a Gazelle, which we both used faithfully for nearly a year. However, we bought the Gazelle for $30 off eBay, so that didn't feel nearly as rife with commitment as this.

I blame Daylight Saving Time. I hate it with my whole heart. (Well, not my whole heart. Part of my hatred is reserved for other important things such as irrational people, violence, and meatloaf.) I run after work. Thanks to DST, it is dark fifteen seconds after I arrive home. As a result, I'm not running except on the weekends. This is not a good training plan for someone who's doing her first 5K on December 12.

I went to a friend's house and tried her treadmill. I hate treadmills--not as much as meatloaf or DST--but I hate them. They make me feel like I'm going to fall off the back, even when I'm tethered to it by that little cord. They make me feel trapped. They make me scared. A runner at work said she uses an elliptical machine to work out when it's too cold/wet/dark to run outside. I've used one in college and while living at our second apartment, and I enjoy them... as much as I enjoy exercising, that is.

A, however, likes treadmills and hates elliptical machines. You see where this is going.

We bought a treadmill and an elliptical machine--both severely discounted. The elliptical machine is a discontinued floor model, and the treadmill was discounted as a pre-Black Friday special. The prices made it reasonable if we will use them, and I am optimistic enough to believe we will.

But, just in case, I think we should offer a gym membership to our spare room. You may choose to use either piece of equipment for the low, low price of $19.99/month (no prorate, no refunds, 1 year contract).

No comments:

Post a Comment