Tuesday, August 26, 2014

If It's Not Broken...

Way back in the mist before time began*, I went to Manhattan. I was a new knitter and tracked down a yarn shop for souvenir yarn. Then I wound it, probably threw away the ball band, and it sat on a shelf for a few years.

It was a rookie mistake.

A few weeks ago, I was contemplating what to bring to a friend's house. There were a bunch of us getting together for an overnight visit, and I would have four hours in the car as well as some time while we were all chatting.

I decided socks with a pretty easy pattern were the way to go, and I went in search of yarn. I decided to try the mystery NYC yarn.**


Zigzagular Socks (mine raveled here)

I have a problem. I am attracted to variegated yarn, but I have a hard time finding patterns that show up well amidst all the color. This pattern, actually, was featured on Simply Socks Yarn Co.'s blog recently as a pattern that worked well with variegated yarn. That mention is what drew me to them in the first place.

This pattern did not disappoint. In fact, I was so pleased with the NYC socks that I immediately cast on for a second pair, this time using Blue Moon yarn from their sock club.


Zigzagular Socks (mine raveled here),
in Cables of Wrath colorway


Most of this pattern is stockinette, which flies, and then there's a short repeat of the twisted zigzag on a purl background. It's mirrored so the pattern runs down the outside of each leg.


I can't tell you how great it feels to knit up one of those sock club skeins. I participated in it for three years, I think. The first year, I knit everything just as they told me to. After that, I only knit it if I found the pattern really compelling. As a result, I have skeins still in their plastic bags. Blue Moon yarn is too lovely to not be used. It's great to have another pattern in the variegated arsenal!

*sometime after 2006


**This is clearly a yarn that could have used an afterthought heel. Please ignore that.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't notice the afterthought heel thing until you mentioned it. AND I've never thought of doing an afterthought heel on cuff down! Genius! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of Adrienne Fong for sock patterns using variegated yarn (http://www.ravelry.com/designers/adrienne-fong). She has a lot of ... I don't know what to call them... horizontal patterns, rather than vertical? They work up well with crazy multis. So far this year I've done "A Little Bit Country", "Sox on the Beach", "Wiki Waki Woo", and I've done "Rainbow Over Lahaina" probably three or four times. Just my two cents, if you're looking for a new designer!

    ReplyDelete