Monday, August 13, 2012

Anybody Seen the Bandwagon?

I'm often slow to adopt new things.

I had my first drink at age 22.

I became a vegetarian at 31.

I got my first tattoo at 33.

I often don't start watching TV shows until they're already off the air.

I've come to accept that part of myself that likes to look carefully at other people trying something new and wait to see if it blows up on them. I recognize it takes me a long time to decide that it's actually safe.

In the spirit of this, I have never knit a clapotis. There are over nineteen thousand entries on Ravelry for clapotis projects. I think that's enough to ensure that there's not a horrible mistake in the pattern, no?


Clapotis (mine ravelled here), 
knit in Alpaca with a Twist's Mojito yarn in Hugs and Kisses colorway

I had yarn leftover from my Off-Rib Cardigan, and that's what I used for this. The pattern calls for yarn of this weight, but tons of people have knit it with much, much lighter yarn as well. I think it looks great either way.


It's an easy knit, and it's surprisingly satisfying to drop stitches and pop pop pop them down their diagonal row. Purposeful destruction in knitting! No wonder nineteen thousand people are talking about it on Ravelry.

One of my goals is to wear things like this more often. I am very much a utilitarian dresser. My preference would be to wear jeans and a t-shirt every day. (You've heard about this before.)

Maybe I'll now occasionally wear jeans, a t-shirt, and a clapotis.

Baby steps.


1 comment: