Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sockapalooza

There are two things you should know about Andrew for this story: He is picky, and he is honest. If you ask Andrew if your butt looks big in these jeans, he will tell you the truth. You have to learn not to ask if you don't want to know. The good part about this is that when he says you look nice, you can rest assured that you really do look nice. The other good part about this is that he's not an asshole. 

I have knit Andrew a bunch of hats and scarves, but I've only made him a few pair of socks. It's been trial and error to figure out what makes the perfect Andrew Sock.

I think I have it. 


I call these the Tighter Yet Socks (ravelled here.) I made the toes less pointy than normal, and I did 2-1 ribbing all the way down the leg and across the top of the foot. I used Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball Starke 6 yarn, which is a sport weight, so I only had 54 stitches in a round. I'll have to figure out what adjustments I need for fingering weight socks, but I'm learning more what Andrew thinks makes a perfect sock.

And let's take a moment to rejoice that he loves color and doesn't care if they match. That makes the knitting so much more interesting.

I also finished a pair of socks for my oldest sister. I talked about them in this post.

Groovy socks (mine ravelled here) knit in Knitpicks Felici Sport, Dockside colorway

This is a great pattern for striping yarn. I don't think the pattern is online anymore, but it's a simple two row repeat:

Round 1: Knit all stitches.
Round 2 (multiple of 8): k1, yo, k1, k2tog, ssk, k1, yo, k1. Repeat those 8 stitches to end of round.

I didn't intend for them to match, but they did. I ran out of yarn at the tip of the toe on each sock, so I used a bit of another colorway of the same yarn to finish (the very tip done in various shades of blue). I don't think it's noticeable at all. It's nice to have these for the present pile to give her on her birthday!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!
    I love both of them... Andrew's socks are wonderful for those colors, and you answered my question... would he mind they aren't identical. It isn't totally obvious that they don't match up... LOVE those colors.
    And Groovy: I wasn't that crazy about them (maybe the color brightness) until I read the pattern and clicked on them. It really makes that scallop? I'll have to try it to believe it, and I have a self stripe sock started. It's ready to be the lab rat! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love Andrew's socks! The Groovy sox remind me of the Travelocity gnome. ha! - good job! :)

    ReplyDelete