Monday, July 2, 2012

Half Full

I have an emotional investment in my hundreds and hundreds of 3" squares (there are over a thousand of them) that I've cut out for my first quilt. I can't bear the thought of them being destroyed because I don't know how to use a sewing machine.

The only sensible thing to do is to start with another project.

So, I did. The flowered fabric is a valance my friend Lynn made for me. It's hung in our kitchen since we bought our house seven years ago. I LOVE IT.

So I decided to use it as a template and make another one out of veggie fabric I bought from Ikea. I'd hang this one in the yarn room. No problem!

Let me remind you that, despite being an intelligent person, I am not visual. I need words, not pictures. This is a problem. I carefully looked at how Lynn constructed the valance, and very carefully mimicked her seams.

I finished, turned the tube right side out, looked at it, and HUH! The pocket was in the middle of the inside of the tube, not on the outside. I'd sewn the thing inside out. 

Learned: It takes a great deal longer to rip out seams in fabric than it does knitted fabric. 

After ripping, I too quickly put the seams in the correct place and went triumphantly in search of the kitchen curtain rod so I could take a picture of my ultimately successful project.

The pocket I made for the rod was slightly narrower at one end, and it wouldn't go on the rod.

At this point, the only thing to do was to rehang Lynn's curtain, fold mine up, and write "narrow curtain rod" on the grocery list.

I don't care. I'm still counting it as a successful project.


  1. Oh, honey...
    Look for a cafe curtain rod. It should fit really well. Congratulations on a successful project!


  2. LOL! Been there/done that! Ripping out stitched seams- BP through the roof!