Thursday, July 19, 2012

Poor, Privileged Me

A friend and I have been talking about the hardships we have in our lives so we can laugh and put them into perspective. Here are some examples:

  • I spent a ridiculous amount of time yesterday trying to figure out if I wanted to buy an imperfect Jordana Paige bag for $50. Then her site crashed!  The horror!
  • She was sad she walked all the way to the vending machine in heels and they were out of her favorite candy bar.
  • I have too much delicious food available to me, and so I will always have to pay attention to my weight.

I can add a new one to the list:

  • A friend and I went to lunch and then to our neighborhood JoAnn fabrics. The store is moving, and they're "liquidating." Unfortunately, we didn't realize "liquidating" meant "put your fabric 15% off and have a handful of things at 40%."  But I spent time making a list of possible projects and their yarn requirements! I was all psyched up to buy yarn! 



Oh, wait. Syria is in violent turmoil? The Eurozone is a red hot mess? Half the country (including my little corner of it) is in a serious drought, which means farmers are losing their livelihoods and food prices will go up, disproportionately impacting the poor?

Perspective. Recognize things for what they really are. I perhaps need to tattoo that on my arm to serve as a reminder.

Oh, wait. I already have. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment