Thursday, March 29, 2012

Jewelry that Means Something

I don't have much expensive jewelry. When we meet with our insurance guy, he always asks me about jewelry. "Do you have enough coverage? How much do you think your jewelry is worth?"

Um, I don't need a separate policy to cover my jewelry. Most of it is handmade. Almost all of it is inexpensive. I like it that way.

There is a lot of awesome, handmade jewelry out there, and I love supporting people who are creating their own pieces.  Much of my stuff has been bought from a friend of a friend who makes her own jewelry. Sadly, she doesn't have a website. However, I'll bet that if you go to a local craft fair, you'll find someone like Valerie who makes and sells beautiful jewelry at great prices.



I bought this Buddha pendant for $8 in 2007 and still wear it a few times a week. The metal chain (which I bought for $4.50) has turned brown, and someday I'll get around to replacing it. I bought this from an etsy seller that's no longer selling, but there are lots of great pendants on etsy.





I bought this for a friend for Christmas for $8.95 from SunshowerCreations. I think it's gorgeous and may end up buying one for myself as well.









Andrew bought me this nerd necklace for Christmas. It was $6.95 from Pieces of Me Pendants. Like the Buddha necklace, it's made from a Scrabble tile. I love this necklace and am constantly amused by people who think that "nerd" is an insult.  I'm proud of my nerdiness--so proud that I'll wear a Scrabble tile proclaiming it for all to see.







This is my most recent purchase. It's from SpiffingJewlery. She and her husband cut and bend the aluminum, custom stamp it with whatever you want in your choice of fonts, and give you forty different color options. This cost me $28.00, including shipping. It's astounding to me that such labor-intensive awesomeness is so affordable.


She hand stamped it with Eight Noble Truths. I need lots and lots of reminders. Lots and lots.




I love jewelry that reminds me of who I want to be. The inexpensive pieces I've bought make me so much happier than a piece purchased from a mall jewelry store.* They say things about me, and in some cases even help me as I strive to be the person I want to be.

*I assume. I suppose I can't say that for sure since I don't really buy pieces from a mall jewelry store. Still, it seems like a pretty safe assertion to make.

2 comments:

  1. I love your jewelry and your reasons for selecting it. Thanks for sharing.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! The nerd pendant is awesome :) Now I want to see more of your collection....

    ReplyDelete