Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Race Against Frost

Sunday, after attending the ancient ritual used to punish females known as Baby Shower* for one of my cousins, I played in my yard. This is the first year I've planted ornamental sweet potato vine, and it, well...


apparently is not bothered at all by hot weather and little water. It took over my front bed. I cut it back once this summer, filling a trash bag with clippings, but you certainly couldn't tell it now. I started to pull it up on the right side of the picture, and this is what I found:


I put the potatoes into vermiculite, and I'll replant them somewhere next year and see if they grow. I love the vibrancy of this vine, but I'm not sure I want to subject any perennials to its exuberance. Maybe I'll stick them in the yard and watch what happens!


I dug up A LOT of irises, and I've thrown them under some trees in the backyard. I feel like I should give them some hope of survival, so I went to buy some bags of dirt after work yesterday.


There was a perennial sale. I regret nothing. I bought an azalea for $1.44. Amending the soil so it will survive in my pH 7.8 will cost more than that, but I couldn't help myself. I bought two double vincas for around the birdbath  I figure if it tries to take over the yard I'll mow it down. I bought two white salvias and a "Pink Fountain Gaura" to go around the mailbox.

For shade under a tree, I bought a hosta and a mystery plant:



Any guesses? I've e-mailed the Master Gardener helpline to see if they know what it is. It's in a hosta pot, but it doesn't look anything like a hosta to me. I also bought 120 lb. of dirt. I paid under $27 for everything--hence the regretting nothing.

We're in a warm snap around here, so I hope I can get these all into the ground this week. I know that it's very late to be planting perennials, but gardeners are famously optimistic about this sort of thing.  

I love this time of year.

*I get the importance of it.  I think new parents and people getting married should be given gifts and support. I just don't understand a) why we have to play games involving melted candy in diapers, and b) why the males don't have to attend. When I rule the world, things will be different.

1 comment:

  1. I am a gardener too. It's been raining for two weeks in Oregon and I am behind on planting my bulbs. :) I need some dirt too. I buy three way mix at the local recycling place.

    Thank you for your comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete