Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Snidely Incognito

Brandy's birthday was last month, but I never posted a picture of a surprise I knit for her:
Incognito Pattern from Knitty, knit in Lion Brand Vanna's Choice so as to be machine washable

It's a neckwarmer with a 'stache a la Snidely Whiplash stitched on.  Because sometimes you need a disguise in the winter.

Let me tell you the backstory of this project:

I find this project.  It makes me think of Brandy.  I am worried, however, that she won't like how close it fits on the face.  I wouldn't like it.  Granted, I don't wear turtlenecks.  I send the link to Rachel.  Does she think Brandy will like this?

Rachel finds a different, less kitschy neckwarmer on etsy and sends Bran an e-mail saying she is thinking of having me knit her one and what does Brandy think?  Brandy thinks it's delightful and especially likes that you can pull it up over your mouth.

Hooray!  I can surprise her with this fabulous knitwear!  I knit and lie in wait.

Her birthday finally arrives.  I am nervous and excited as she opens the box.  Tissue paper is removed, Brandy smiles and says,

"Oh!  You did knit it for me."


What?

"I asked you to knit this for me.  Don't you remember?"


Wh-huh?

Apparently Brandy and I already had a conversation about this in which she told me she loved it and asked me if I would make it for her.

I don't remember a bit of it, rope friends into doing undercover reconnaissance for me, and knit it for her thinking I'm creating a wonderful surprise.

In related news, I'm probably a good person from whom to borrow money if you don't want to pay it back.

[Note: I survived my first Master Gardening class.  I'll write more about that once I have a bit more time to process.]

No comments:

Post a Comment