Friday, February 26, 2010

People Who Should Be Rich

This is just one in a long list of things that will be different when I rule the world. Sadly, I have just received my order of hamantaschen, so world domination will have to wait until I finish my cookies.

There are lots of people who should be rich and aren't, and lots of people who shouldn't be rich but are.

Let me note that I realize that, for the most part, if you live in the U.S. or Canada or Western Europe, you're obscenely wealthy by world standards. That, however, is a post for another day. What I'm talking about here are the people in the developed (whatever that means) world that do amazing things and yet struggle to make ends meet.

Here's my list. It's obviously biased based on my own interests. Feel free to comment on whom you think should be added:

knitwear designers - There are people stunningly famous in the knitting world who create gorgeous, ingenius patterns and yet still have problems paying their bills. I assume this is true for other fields as well.

teachers - I know they have lots of days off, but they also spend most of their spare time during the school year grading and planning. And they put up with children and teenagers ALL THE TIME. It boggles the mind.

childcare workers - Apparently my new niece had her first blow out--all over the couch and even, because she's an overachiever, on their living room wall. My sister-in-law said it looked like silly string. People who deal with this as part of their career deserve to have enough money to hire a personal chef. And cleaner.

authors - Did you know that most authors don't get rich for writing bestselling novels? How is this possible? Whom can I blame?

President Obama - I'm not saying he's poor. I'm saying he should be wealthier.

bloggers who are read and enjoyed by a gajillion people - Yarn Harlot and Crazy Aunt Purl, I'm looking at you.

people who do all the real work in a job (as opposed to those who are clueless about what actually is done but yet get paid an obscene amount of money because of their title)

I'm confident there are many, many more, but I have sufficiently vented my grumpiness. Now, I'm going to go eat hamantaschen.

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Teachers are so underpaid it is not even close to being funny.

    ReplyDelete