Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Ombre Chest of Drawers

A friend of mine works the occasional auction. This has the potential to be both gloriously bad and tremendously good for me, sometimes simultaneously.

Case in point:



It not only wasn't very pretty, but it also smelled funny. Andrew and I moved it into the house, plunked it in the middle of the living room so I could ponder its fate, and then within an hour moved it back out of the house until I could attack it with Pine-Sol. I cleaned it and then set about transforming it into Awesome.

To do this, I visited Giant Home Improvement Store and had them mix up six different sample-size paint colors. The employee handed them to me, saying, "I'm not going to lie. I don't know which of these is which."

"Oh, I'm sure it's fine. They're labeled, right?"

"Well, these colors weren't in our system..."

Optimistically, I reminded myself that the drawers were all the same size, so I'd be fine.

Over the next several evenings, I started painting. And I found this:

One of these things is just like the other...

Dude mixed two samples of the same &$()%_) color. Back to the paint store. 

Nine days after it came home to live with us, it was finished, and lo, it was glorious.


I put it in the yarn guest room. It's going to be the home for random supplies--fabric in one drawer, sheets of felt and needle felting stuff in another, embroidery in another, etc. There's a herd of Felici* on top to make it feel at home.

*I own an obscene amount of Felici. If you're a yarn hoarder knitter, you might not think I own too much just by looking at the above photo. However, the Felici is stacked three deep. It's a sickness. It's probably for the best that the line has been discontinued. Self-striping sock yarn is the crack of the knitting world.

5 comments:

  1. hmm. I expected this room to be brighter? or...is that a yellow wall in the background? This chest looks GREAT! So, pine sol fixed it right up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I must say, that is something that if found again, please call and we will arrange to have it picked up--LOVE this, the colors, everything. (The yarn, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love seeing your ultra-creative projects!!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note to self: do not tell you about my friend Caitlin, who dyes self-striping yarn.

    That cabinet is awesome! I can't believe that dolt mixed up the same/wrong color. Well, no, I can believe it. But it makes me roll my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is
    an extremely well written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and
    come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post.
    I'll certainly comeback.

    For a wonderful answer please check-out this site best under eye wrinkle cream

    ReplyDelete