Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Ombre Chest of Drawers

A friend of mine works the occasional auction. This has the potential to be both gloriously bad and tremendously good for me, sometimes simultaneously.

Case in point:



It not only wasn't very pretty, but it also smelled funny. Andrew and I moved it into the house, plunked it in the middle of the living room so I could ponder its fate, and then within an hour moved it back out of the house until I could attack it with Pine-Sol. I cleaned it and then set about transforming it into Awesome.

To do this, I visited Giant Home Improvement Store and had them mix up six different sample-size paint colors. The employee handed them to me, saying, "I'm not going to lie. I don't know which of these is which."

"Oh, I'm sure it's fine. They're labeled, right?"

"Well, these colors weren't in our system..."

Optimistically, I reminded myself that the drawers were all the same size, so I'd be fine.

Over the next several evenings, I started painting. And I found this:

One of these things is just like the other...

Dude mixed two samples of the same &$()%_) color. Back to the paint store. 

Nine days after it came home to live with us, it was finished, and lo, it was glorious.


I put it in the yarn guest room. It's going to be the home for random supplies--fabric in one drawer, sheets of felt and needle felting stuff in another, embroidery in another, etc. There's a herd of Felici* on top to make it feel at home.

*I own an obscene amount of Felici. If you're a yarn hoarder knitter, you might not think I own too much just by looking at the above photo. However, the Felici is stacked three deep. It's a sickness. It's probably for the best that the line has been discontinued. Self-striping sock yarn is the crack of the knitting world.

4 comments:

  1. hmm. I expected this room to be brighter? or...is that a yellow wall in the background? This chest looks GREAT! So, pine sol fixed it right up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I must say, that is something that if found again, please call and we will arrange to have it picked up--LOVE this, the colors, everything. (The yarn, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love seeing your ultra-creative projects!!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note to self: do not tell you about my friend Caitlin, who dyes self-striping yarn.

    That cabinet is awesome! I can't believe that dolt mixed up the same/wrong color. Well, no, I can believe it. But it makes me roll my eyes.

    ReplyDelete