Back in April, I wrote about retiring my swirly mittens. I set about replacing them last week.
I used yarn left from two other projects. I was worried I wouldn't have enough yarn, so I weighed one of my old mittens:
It was 27 grams. I weighed the new mitten:
The new one was 34 grams. It's amazing how using better yarn impacts the weight. The structure of the two mittens is very similar.
Then I weighed what yarn I had left:
Oy--17 of the darker and 16 of the lighter. The use of the light and dark yarn was pretty even in this pattern with the exception of the inside of the cuff. I knit that in the lighter gray, then folded it inside and knit the cuff together with the outside of the mitten. The cuff was 24 rounds, so I was definitely going to run out of the light yarn.
I decided to alternate the light gray with some leftover Sock that Rock Lightweight in a similar color (Deep Unrelenting Grey, leftover from these) on the second mitten so I wouldn't (hopefully) run out of yarn before I finished the thumb.
I can tell the difference, but it's not very noticeable... and it's the inside of mitten cuffs, so who cares? I barely had any light gray yarn left at the end of the second mitten (and not a ton of the dark), so it was a good decision.
The Dither pattern is a chart and some instructions for making socks, so I had to cobble together a mitten pattern. Details are on the Ravelry page if you're interested. I added a Latvian braid at the edge of the cuff because my love for them is pure. I made the braids to mirror one another, which amuses me.
knit in Indigodragonfly Merino Sock, Angst for the Memories
and Townhouse Yarns Grafton 4ply, Menace
I love that I was able to use the remainder of two really great yarns to make these. They're extremely soft, and perhaps they'll hold up even better than the Swirly Mittens since they're made with nicer yarn.