Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Three and Counting

These are the third pair of Hederas I've knit.

Hedera (mine ravelled here),
knit in Kertzer On Your Toes, color 3820 (discontinued)

I knit a pair for me in 2010, just a few years after I learned to knit. They're fine with the exception of the feet being a bit too short. I still wear them, but they're not a great fit and are showing wear accordingly. A few months later, I knit another pair and gave them away. I'm happy to have another (better fitting) pair for me!


The Hedera pattern is pretty. It's also easy. It's a 10 stitch and 4 round repeat (and 2 of those rounds are the same), and it's simple enough I can tell what round I'm on by looking at the sock, not the pattern. This says a lot since I'm not particularly visual and it takes me awhile to see patterns on anything I knit. Intelligent? Yes. Visual? No.


I bought the yarn very cheaply* at Tuesday Morning. I'm pleasantly surprised by how pretty it turned out. I assumed it would be a variegated yarn rather than a striping one. I like the stripes.


I did the heel flap over 29 stitches and continued the pattern. On right sides, I did sl1, p1, sl1, k1, sl1, k1, sl1, p2, k1tbl, p2, sl1, k1, sl1, k1, sl1, p2, k1tbl, p2, sl1, k1, sl1, k1, sl1, p2. On wrong sides, I did sl1, k1, p5, k2, p1tbl, k2, p5, k2, p1tbl, k2, p5, k2. I like that this is still heel-like (not too lacy or bumpy), but yet flows from the leg pattern. I'm geeky like that.

I love this pattern. I'm not promising that there won't be Hedera socks in my future.

*See? I'm not a total yarn snob, despite my initial reservations about Lion Brand. 

4 comments:

  1. These look great! especially the heels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hederas were short in the foot as well, but still one of my favourite pairs to show off. I think I took the pattern too close to the end of the toe as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these -- off to add that pattern to my queue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo.. I'm going to steal your heels! Thanks for being so geeky!!

    ReplyDelete