Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Froot Loops for Mom

I have a friend who lives in Germany. 

Germany, of course, is also known as "Land of Opal Yarn."* She gave me a couple skeins for my birthday, and one of them became socks for my mom!

Froot Loop Socks (mine ravelled here),
knit in Zwerger Garn Opal Handgefarbt, Lasst blumen sprechen colorway
(Apparently this yarn has been discontinued, so don't get attached.)


I've knit this pattern before (here), and I love it. I'll make complicated socks, but they have to be extremely awesome (like these). If a sock is going to be difficult, there'd better be a darn good reason for it. Otherwise, I'd prefer to have an easily memorizable pattern. Froot loop fits the bill, a 4-row repeat that is only seven stitches long and can be "read" easily so you don't have to keep your place on a paper pattern.

Plus, it has a nice bit of stretch. That's always helpful in a sock.

My camera continues to decide to rotate photos at will, and I continue to lack the energy to care about it. Do what you will, camera. I care not.

I think this is one of those rare patterns that would be fine with solid, semisolid, variegated, or striping yarn. Thanks, Kristi Geraci and Knitty!

*I wonder if Germany's tourism board has capitalized on that? My guess is no. Missed opportunity, Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment