Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Yarn Equivalent of Chanting

I'm waiting for the sock yarn to arrive for the two pairs of socks I need to knit for Christmas presents.  Last night, I cast on for a washcloth.

Garter Stitch Washcloth (mine ravelled here), 
knit in Knitpicks Dishie, Kenai colorway

Thirty-three stitches, all knit. It looks a bit wonky, but that will smooth out after weaving in the ends and throwing it through the washer and dryer cycles.  Even if it doesn't, who cares? Wonky edges do not diminish its usefulness, and usefulness is all that really matters when it comes to washcloths.*

There's something very soothing about a project like this. Easier than even the simple washcloth Mom used to teach me to knit, there's no counting, no thinking, just doing.

I wonder if I'll have time for another before the sock yarn comes...

*That might be a lie. I've knit a lot of novelty washcloths. Even so, I don't think I own one. All the ones I've kept are the washcloth equivalent of ice water: simple and comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment