Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Magic Mushrooms

I used to have headaches.

A lot.

After the gallbladder incident, I'd met my deductible, so I decided to see how deep the rabbit hole went and try to find a way to combat the headaches.*

I'd been to my general practitioner a couple times about it.  He and I both felt certain it was a sinus issue, but the stuff we'd been trying wasn't kicking the pain.  He sent me to an ENT.  After a CT scan and allergy testing, I found that I was allergic to a lot of things, super allergic to a couple things, and that my sinuses were fine.

Drat.

I went back to my g.p., and he sent me to a neurologist.

My neurologist made me do a bunch of sobriety tests to make sure I didn't have a balance issue, ordered blood work and a MRI, and prescribed a tiny pill that was on the $4/month drug list at giant soul-sucking retail stores.  I dutifully had my blood drawn, explored the cave, and filled the prescription.

I didn't really believe any of it would make a bit of a difference.

But within a week, the pill worked.  IT WORKED.


I've been on the magic pill for three weeks, and my headaches have dropped in frequency from nearly every day to perhaps once a week.  I have one today, and it reminds me how fortunate I am that I have one today and not today, yesterday, the day before that, and probably tomorrow.

Today.  I can handle it since it's just today.

I am thankful.

*See also, "Reasons Why Our Healthcare System Is Broken"

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy for you! So, what is this magic pill? What did they find out you were allergic to?

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie! I could completely relate to this post. I have allergies and asthma--big time! And with my house full of dogs, that probably does not help, but I would never change that for anything. Therefore, I am left with being on an allergy pill all year long (plus run the vacuum daily) and it totally helps--Allegra (thank goodness it's avail. in generic pill)--sort of an old school allergy pill, but boy does it help. I am glad your headaches are subsiding--they can be crippling, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you found a remedy to make things a bit better.

    ReplyDelete