Thursday, October 29, 2009

Running in Circles, Chasing My Tail

A coworker who's been running for over a year and I were talking about my fledgling habit Tuesday. She suggested several things to help me enjoy my workout more, and one of them was running somewhere new.

So, yesterday I ran down to our main road, turned left, and went into the giant neighborhood behind my street.

It was exciting! And new! And I was listening to the new Black Eyed Peas album, (which was good for running and became immediately stupid when I stopped--beat vs. lyrics, I'm sure) and I was Boom Boom Pow-ing and indeed Tonight was a Good Night!

Most of you knows what comes next.

I got lost.

Not seriously lost, but definitely turned around. I ended up at another entrance to the giant neighborhood, and, although I knew where I was, there was no way I was going to run down that road at 6:00 p.m. I would have gotten squished like a bug.

I turned around and walked back from whence I came. I contemplated knocking on a door. I berated myself for not carrying my cell phone. (Very dumb. I've decided the main characteristic of my new phone should be that it is small enough to run with comfortably. I carry my cell phone when I walk the dog. Why would I not carry it when I run somewhere new by myself?) I decided to ask a passing car, and the man kindly gave me the wrong directions and wrong street name.

I feel somehow comforted by this. I'm assuming this man lives in this neighborhood, and even he has no idea how to escape. I'm guessing he's still there, driving around saying, "Why are there only three unique street names? Why are they all labeled Blvd. and Parkway and Circle and Lane with the same name?"I did find my way out, but I did not come out where I had intended.

On a positive note, I ran a few more minutes than planned because the fear of I'm-going-to-loop-around-on-roads-with-the-same-name-until-I-die-in-this-subdivision made running look more attractive than walking. Being Lost Faster seems somehow better than Being Lost Slower.

I looked at a map when I got home, and there's just very little chance I'll ever be able to run in that neighborhood without getting lost. I think I'll try it again this weekend, but I'll carry my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment