Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Wisdom of Books

Awhile ago, I shared some quotes I'd written down from TV. Today I'd like to share some book quotes. These are all from Louise Penny's books.

Louise Penny's character, Armand Gamache, is particularly wise. This first quote is how I feel about knitting. I choose to do it anyway.
He walked briskly to the young couple and their son and joined them as they walked to the stall Old Mundin had set up. It was full of furniture, hand made. A person’s choices were always revealing, Gamache found. Mundin chose to make furniture, fine furniture. Gamache’s educated eye skimmed the tables, cabinets and chairs. This was painstaking, meticulous work. All the joints dovetailed together without nails; the details were beautifully inlaid, the finishes smooth. Faultless. Work like this took time and patience. And the young carpenter could never, ever be paid what these tables, chairs, dressers were worth. And yet Old Mundin chose to do it anyway.
The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny 

Stupid people worried Gamache. They were unpredictable.
The Hangman by Louise Penny 

Gamache listened, but didn’t nod. Didn’t agree or disagree. He was bending much of his will to disengaging from Brébeuf, while still listening closely.
A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny 

It isn't just Inspector Gamache that's clever, though.
Yes, I’m in debt. Never was good with money and now that apparently I’m not allowed to steal, life is much more difficult.
A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny 

“Do you think he’d lost his mind?” Clara asked. “I think,” said Myrna slowly, “that Peter could afford to lose some of his mind. It wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.”
The Long Way Home by Louise Penny 

3 comments:

  1. These are great! I'd like to meet Gamache.

    ReplyDelete

  2. You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!
    mcafee.com/activate
    mcafee.com/activate
    Norton.com/setup
    office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete