Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Things Do Get Finished... Except When They Don't

First, I finished Andrew's socks:
Turner Ribs (mine ravelled here),
knit in Malabrigo Sock Yarn in the 851 Turner colorway

I was skeptical about this yarn, not sure how it would wear. In response, I knit these at a tighter gauge--more stitches, smaller needles. As a result of that and the fact that I worked on them only sporadically when I couldn't bear to work on the Falling Stars sweater, they felt like they took forever. Luckily, I love Andrew very, very much.

Second, Falling Stars continues. I finished the body, sort of. I'm doing things in the order the pattern states, so I have the body stitches on waste yarn while I do the sleeves. Then I'll do fancy steeking things that terrify me so let's move on quickly, and then the body stitches get sewn to the inside of the sweater. Seems like there should be a neater way to do this, but I haven't figured it out yet. I think perhaps I'm just used to bottom-up sweaters in which I can knit the cast on stitches together with the body stitches.

In related news, I can get about 9 rounds of sleeve done during my lunch hour.


Fingering weight sweaters are not for those who need to see rapid progress. In fact, I'm not sure they're even for people who think progress is important in any way whatsoever. Fingering weight sweaters are probably for people who are content to knit and knit and knit and then have their work unraveled each night while they sleep, like Penelope's weaving but with less feasting and more sadism.

So, it's going pretty much like we knew it would. I've been dreaming about a nice bulky weight hat just to cleanse the palette (like this one), but I've been able to resist thus far. If you'll excuse me, I have a couple sleeves to knit.

1 comment:

  1. Well it IS marathon season. Your marathon just happens to be a sweater. Don't give up! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete