Sunday, June 5, 2011

Volunteer Gardening!

My work has teamed up with a church to do a garden at a local elementary.  All the produce during the summer is donated to a food pantry, and as soon as school starts the produce is given to families from the elementary.  I didn't realize that the majority of the students at that school were on free or reduced lunches, so the produce is greatly appreciated.

Let's be honest:  It doesn't matter how much you make.  A tomato that's freshly picked tastes better than a tomato from the grocery.

I am volunteering at this garden.  I admit that I'm doing it because I need the volunteer hours to complete my master gardening certificate.  I'm sorry that I need that kind of motivation to get started on something as good as this, but I hope that now that I have started it's something I'll continue to do for seasons to come.

Yesterday was my first visit to the garden.  It was four billion degrees and sunny.  I thought there was a better than average change I would die from the heat, even though I was only there for a couple of hours.  Luckily, I did not.  When I got home, I laid flat on the kitchen floor with a wet washcloth for awhile.  When I finally pulled myself up to head to the shower, I noticed how filthy I was.

See?  My hands were even worse.  It looks like I planted myself in the garden rather than cucumbers and tomatoes.

'Tis the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment