Thursday, December 22, 2016

Three Gatekeepers

Let me start by saying this isn't written passive aggressively. I have a nice family. Andrew has a nice family. Nobody is intentionally a jerk to anyone else, and everyone pretty consistently works to get along.

That being said, holidays can be trying. We have expectations of how they should be, and those expectations are unreasonable (or at least mine are). We are spending time with people who we love and yet may think in really different ways than we do. They may have different political views--and holymarymotherofgod I'm praying we can avoid all political conversations over the holidays because it will be very hard to contain my rage if someone says something stupid-- and religious views and views about how we should be living our lives.

So, for you, but mostly as a reminder to me:



Let's practice!

"It is incomprehensible to me that she remains married to that asshole."
True, but not kind or necessary

"I don't mind that there's bacon in those green beans."
Kind, but not true or necessary. 
(I don't have to apologize for being a vegetarian. 
I don't have to make a big deal of it either.)

Here's a tricky one:
"Your sugar-crazed, monstrous, spoiled, banshee children are destroying Mom's house and ruining Christmas."
No. Just no.

However:
"Your children are setting fire to the centerpiece."
True, necessary, and not unkind.

Merry Christmas, everyone. Let's be our best selves out there... 
and forgive ourselves when we fail.

2 comments:

  1. I probably should have read this on Dec. 22....oh well, I only really fell down once. : )

    ReplyDelete