Wednesday, July 17, 2013

For the Want of 5 Grams

I finished the first sock for the Knitter's Curiosity Cabinet: Volume II KAL. It's very pretty.

Lycaena virgaureae socks (mine ravelled here),
knit in Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Lightweight in a random mill end  

And it weighs 69 grams.

Guess how much yarn I have left?


The sock, naturally, has been in time out since I saw this problem.

This was a complete skein of sock yarn with 360 yards. Granted, I'm used to skeins with 400 yards, but I always have a significant amount left over. Granted, this pattern is over 72 stitches instead of my usual 64, and it calls for slightly larger needles because the nature of the stitch pattern makes it less elastic than stockinette socks.

Okay, it's not surprising I ran out of yarn. That doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Anyway, I've been trying to figure out if I'd rather have socks with mismatched cuffs or mismatched toes. My fear with mismatched cuffs is that perhaps I still won't knit enough of the sock with the mismatched yarn, and I'll end up with mismatched cuffs and toes.

I was complaining about this to Katie, and she suggested that I rip out the first toe and then knit both toes in a second color.

Problem solved.

I'm leaning toward the green yarn on the left for the toes, but I think the blue on the right would work as well. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. oh look. I'm famous! :) whee!
    I like the green....but I could be sold on the blue, bc I do love a blue! ask Andrew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote Green! And that Katie is wicked smart. She's fixed a lot of my problems, both knitting and non-knitting, too! I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the blue is close enough to the middle yarn that one of two things might happen... either you'd stop noticing it after a while, and forget you ran out of yarn... or you'd see it ALL THE TIME and it would bother you that it was so close and yet so far. Something about a solid (the green) just makes a statement -- I MEANT to do this -- so.... Yeah, I guess that I have helped Not At All.

    ReplyDelete